Youth is many things, and in response to the Weekly Writing Challenge I’ve come up with this poem. Enjoy!
An unwanted burden
you carry or
a fruit unharvested,
unripened and rich?
Either way, it’s still a—
The girl running breathless in the snow
the wizened scholar at her oak desk
the nervous painter at his first art show
the determined boy standing at the pitch
Youth remains by your side, a loyal—
But now it eludes you, slips through your creased fingers
hides under pampered cheeks and stylish shoes,
hazarding appearances in soft smiles; never does it linger
leaving only laugh scars where once youth grew.
Hurry, gather what is left and preserve it in a ditch
Too late, it’s already gone, that sneaky—!
Some say youth is a blessing, a birth rite,
a bold stone, weathered not withered by the sea;
the beloved years, the black days, the winged bird in flight
but either way it’s still a B.
Here are some other Backwords thoughts on youth, age and other splendid things:
- Ilya Fostiy. Amnesia | Crazy Art
- Ilya Fostiy. Muse | The Bliss of Reality
- Youth Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- The Illusive FEAR of Getting Old | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | In my world
- Looking Back (and Traveling) | JGTravels
- Thoughts on Aging | melissuhhsmiles
- Yelp for help…… | Obsessive Compulsive Running…….
- Youth is a B— | The Backwords
- Riding Into The Sunrise
- Weekly writing challenge- golden years | A picture is worth 1000 words
- The Defining Number | Through The Eyes Productions
- I am not my mother | Twisting Suburbia
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Perspective | Joe’s Musings
- Artfully Aspiring
- Wisdom of a Toddler | Artfully Aspiring
- I Couldn’t Wait | Fish Of Gold
- Young or old? Here’s how to tell | The Crayon Files
- The Elders of Us | Wired With Words
- Aging with grace and acceptance | Ezhealthcents
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Golden Years | imagination
- Thirsty thirties | Scent of Rina
- Weekly Writing Challenge: GOLDEN YEARS | Thinking Languages!
- Wholehearted living… One day at a time. | masknolonger
- You’re As Old As You Feel | A Day In The Life
- Social Media has changed me | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Golden Years | Icezine