Is free time actually time to do whatever you want, or just time you’re not paid to do what others want?
I am doing it again. I stop, removing my fingers from the keyboard. I had just finished planning my day for the week. It was a strange, surreal moment. I had done similar things before, organizing and planning my day. But this time was different. This time I realized how stupid I am.
How many times have I “planned out” my day, in order to make sure it was well “spent?” Spending a day? When you think about it, the concept of spending a day is absurd. The concept of planning a day may be even more so.
Capitalism has infested my vocabulary. The jargon of the workplace has infected my thoughts. My “free time” is influenced by my work habits. Is free time actually time to do whatever you want, or just time you’re not paid to do what others want?
I can’t escape the demand to prioritize, organize and mechanize. Though I may not be at school or work right now, my mind is psychologically wired to be in work mode, simply because that’s what it’s most used to. I can’t simply relax because I am not working or at school, nor do I suppose anyone can. Capitalism stains, and no matter how hard we may try to wash it, some dirty residue remains.
Thanks Weekly Writing Challenge for messing up my week. What the heck am I going to do now?
Some other cool posts that may trigger deep thoughts. Reader be warned.
- Lunch | The Magic Black Book
- Random Bits of Conversation Overheard Over Time | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Lunch Posts | Finding Life
- My Darling | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- DP Challenge Weekly Writing Challenge: Staring Off Into Space | Sabethville
- A veteran’s fondest memory | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Knowledge Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Lunch Posts | khaula mazhar
- Weekly DP Challenge – Lunch posts | Its all about a bit of this and that.
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Lunch Posts | The Solidarity Ramblings Of A Wisdom Seeker
- Lunch: Fantasy Vs. Reality | Write Through Life
- Lunch Day One/Weekly Writing Challenge | standinginthestorm
- Blue Monday | Stories from aside
- Today I’ll defer to the dog | Life is Unfolding
- Lunch, Day 1: Too Quiet « there’s this book i’m reading.
- Lunch Break, Day 1: The Distant Banana | Stealing All the Sevens
- DPchallenge: Lunch break…or not | Mindful Digressions
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Lunch Post | lifethoughtenergy
- Daily Post Challenge: Lunch Posts | Flooding August
- Lunchtime | Living and Lovin