The Weekly Writing Challenge seemed interesting, so I thought I’d give it a go. I’ve broken my post up into a poem and a short story. Check back to see the answer to the poem in the short story. Comments and feedback on both are welcome and appreciated.
What Am I?
Thousands of white soldiers fell from the sky.
We swayed in the wind, marched to the death beat.
We feared no man, gun or sword – only heat
For us; hear no mother weep or child cry
You know we are the dead before we die.
But did we not once lay by your cold feet?
Did we not fall for you; for you death meet
So fearless, you may walk where dead corpses lie?
We won each battle, we lost ev’ry war
The sun made sure of eternal defeat
Still we fall from the sky knowing not why.
There is no colour in our ranks, warmth nor
Life. Some bleed red, we grey, when death we meet
Hushed, crushed, stepped on, stepped by; silent we die.
In the meantime, while you wait for the other half of the post, check out some other great cliffhangers:
- Coming Out To My Sister | Basically Beyond Basic
- A dark act | MC’s Whispers
- A Lethal Clue | MC’s Whispers
- An unexpected awakening | MC’s Whispers
- Weekly Writing Challenge-Cliffhanger | A Veil of Enlightenment!
- Too Damaged | donnainrecovery
- Music Reviews Insult My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- B.O.G.O. Blog Post!! | The Fiction of Michael R. Wilson
- Big Shot Jerk Face (or, how I met my husband) | East Meets Breast
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | Finding Life
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Cliffhanger/Weekly Writing Challenge | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Weekly Writing Challenge | girlinaland
- What Am I? | The Backwords
- The Daily Post Zero To Hero Challenge that is Simply the BEST Cliffhanger | The Playground
- First Time Out | Fish Of Gold
- Words Give Me Wings | Finale to an Entrance
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | diamondroseranchmn
- My dearest bundle | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Life Of A Book Lover
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | Dear Blog ’14
- Broken Promises Insult My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | imagination
- Cliffhanger Part 1: Disaster In Space | Musings of a Soul Eclectic
- You Never Can Tell… | Babbleogue
- Cliffhanger challenge | Passionate Dreaming
- Seeking the Star | Leonas Lines–Poetry Plus
- 2000 Words Worth of Pictures… (Part 1) | The Armchair Socialite
- 2000 Words Worth of Pictures…(Part 2) | The Armchair Socialite
- Resistance is Futile, Time for a Change | Mary J Melange
- i made it | Musings of a Random Mind
- Finding “The Light” | Leonas Lines–Poetry Plus
- A Night at the Club | Graced Images
- The One with the Goddess Pele | Jackie Cangro
- The Raven’s Omen | The Crone’s Apprentice
- Weekly writing challenge: Cliffhanger | La chica de la burbuja
- Showdown | Perceptive Pot Clueless Kettle
- Weekly Writing Challenge – Cliffhanger | Joe’s Musings
- Cliffhanger | The World Has Room For Improvement
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger (Part 1 of 2) | Gradual Thought
- Where’s The IT Guy? | My Play Nook
- Cliffhanger writing challenge | lizzyloveslipstick
- Was it THE cabin? | thewhitewaylife
- On the edge… | A Path of Living Stones
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)
- Cliffhanger (1/2) | The Write Might
- if and when | staying.cool
- Ojhri Camp disaster (Part 1) | A mom’s blog
- Cliffhanger, Part Two/Weekly writing challenge | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Cliffhanger! | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- life on the edge | wannabepoet
- Oh boy | sophosfashionoracle
- Living with Depression & Anxiety – Finding Meaning? | Diary of Secrets
- The Right in the Wrong | Random Thoughts